Wednesday, December 26, 2018

T'was The Day After Christmas.....

Good Morning Friends! I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas! Ours was small and cozy, but filled with love and joy.

We kicked off the holiday with what's SURE to be a new annual tradition for us.  A fella, that Matt interacts with sometimes through work, is a conductor for a train line that does holiday rides at Christmas time.  The ride is similar to "The Polar Express" and lasts for about 2 hours total.  It's absolutely fabulous because it's a 1920's Steam Engine and they decorate the passenger cars with beautiful Christmas lights and garlands, etc.





They go all out too! There is hot cocoa and a Christmas cookie for everyone, along with storytelling and carols.  Santa himself even stops in for a visit to give kids a little gift (a bell from his sleigh).  Everyone has a fabulous time!


It's a fantastic little adventure and our family really enjoyed it!

Christmas time is a really busy time of year, for me especially.  Not only because I attend Matt and Hannah's Christmas dinners, parties and concerts, but because of my own involvements as well.

I am a part of our local FCE club, which is Family Community and Education.  Basically, it's Home Ec for grown ups.  We do a couple of fund raisers throughout the year to earn money that we use to purchase heaters for the cold, host dinners for the needy, sponsor families in need during the holidays, etc.  Wherever we see a need, we try to help.  It's a wonderful organization and is truly good for the soul to be a part of it.  I don't know if every state has it but, if they do, you should check it out and consider becoming a member. It's wonderful to help those in need!

Anywhoo, we had our annual Christmas dinner and a good time was had by all.  We did an ornament and card exchange.  Of course, I make cards.... It's what I DO! So naturally I had to make one for everybody! haha.  I just love it though!




I also host an annual cookie exchange among some friends.  We call ourselves the "HOLLY JOLLY CHRISTMAS COOKIE CLUB".  There are always only 12 of us.  Sometimes a person knows she can't make it, and we allow for someone else to take her place that year, but there are never more than 12.  The reason for this is that we bake a dozen cookies for EACH person in the club, plus 1 extra dozen to donate to whatever places we deem for that year.  We've donated to the police and fire depts, EMS and dispatch, nursing homes and this year, the local post offices.  We have a great time playing games and visiting about things that have happened throughout the year since our last party.  It's a lot of work getting the house ready and getting our activities and food set up, and then getting cookies baked and packaged! But we have so much fun too.  We're usually wore out by the time it's done though. This year, there were only 7 of us able to attend.  The year has been busy for everyone!





Then, just the other day, Matt & I attended my Red Hat Society Christmas dinner.  This group is just for fun.  I never knew how much I needed these ladies until I really got involved with them.  I have always been so consumed with volunteering for this outreach or that, or been in this charity organization or that program.  Between the FCE, Girl Scouts, Fire Dept, and Band Boosters (and the others in between), I keep busy.  But the Red Hat Society is the one thing where there are NO expectations, no demands, no needs, no tasks, no responsibilities whatsoever.......... It's just a great time SOCIALIZING with some of the most INCREDIBLE ladies I have ever had the pleasure of knowing!  And, while I'm "technically" too young to be a RED hatter, I'm able to be a PINK hat princess.  :-) I'll take it! hehe.  This is my first year with them But I just love these girls, and I'm thankful to Matt for going with me to the Christmas dinner.  On our way home he said, "Now I understand why you like being with them.  They are a lot of fun".  YES! Fun!!  And what a relief and breath of fresh air to just be able to BE THERE and not HAVE to do anything. 




Everyone needs something like that.  It has done wonders for my psyche and has really even boosted my energy and drive in those other more demanding and outreach areas of my life.  It's a chance to recharge my batteries for a little bit and regroup so that I'm more ready to tackle the other things. So, if you don't have a group of friends that you can just go to lunch or dinner with now and then, or catch a movie together or SOMETHING....... Gather one up and make it a thing!  It really is amazing to have!

Christmas day (yesterday) was just the three of us.  A nice quiet time.  We live more than 12 hours away from our families now, so we rarely get to spend holidays with them anymore.  Our two older girls were unable to come home this year too.  That was especially sad. :-(  Nevertheless, we had a nice relaxed day with good food, delicious hot cider and classic holiday films.  A good way to spend Christmas! And, since I'm so used to preparing holiday meals for large family, we have plenty of leftovers.  We'll be having Christmas feast for several days! LOL



Well, at least it's yummy! hehe. 

I hope that you and yours had a wonderful holiday and that you are refreshed and ready to take on the new year!  I will be back in the craft room today, so be on the lookout for new fabulous projects and ideas. :-)

Until next time,
Happy Crafting!



No comments:

Post a Comment